Crowhurst Neighbourhood Plan Steering Group
 
Notes of Meeting held on Monday 4 February 2019 at 7.30pm
in the Village Hall, Crowhurst
 
Present:                             Gareth Bright,  Ros Day (Chair),  Tracy Hoad,  Diane Stainsby,  Martin White, 
                                               Pat Buckle 
 
Apologies:                  Chris Davidson,  Dave Howley,  Sonia Plato, Ann Wilson, Willy Wilson,
 
In Attendance:               1 Member of the Public
 
Ros Day opened the meeting and thanked everyone for attending.
 
1.         Declaration of Interests
1.1.      All present declared an interest as residents of Crowhurst.
1.2         Item 3.2 - Land Use Task Group - Martin White declared a personal interest as owner of Church Paddock, Crowhurst.
 
2.            Notes of Previous Meeting held on 7 January 2018 - Approved.
2.1         Matters Arising
2.1.1     Proposed Car Park
                Ros Day reported that a possible site next to the village hall car park has been drawn to the attention of the Steering Group. After discussion it was agreed that this item should be referred to the Parish Council.
2.1.2     Proposed Solar Farm at Upper Wilting
                Ros Day informed the meeting that at it’s last meeting the Parish Council decided to write to Hastings Borough Council to ask for more information on the proposals.
 
3.            Task Groups Reports
3.1         Finance
                Tracy Hoad reported that expenditure so far was £1,805.61, leaving £1,026.39 from the last grant.                 Further expenditure identified was £150 for consultant fees for the Design Workshop, and £170 for printing and banners advertising the Referendum.  Ros Day reported that Frank Rallings, NP Planning Liaison Officer, Rother District Council (RDC), has reminded NP groups that NP/Parish Council are allowed to tell residents about the Referendum but not promote which way to vote.
 
3.2         Land Use Task Group
                Martin White confirmed that landowners have been invited to the Design workshop on 10 February 2019. There was nothing further to report at this time.
 
3.3.        Street Champions
                The meeting was grateful to the Street Champions for delivering leaflets to all households in the village promoting the Design Workshop to be held on 10 February 2019. Ros Day stated that providing the Independent Examiner does not raise too many issues on the NP, the Referendum is    likely to take place at the end of May/June 2019 and the Street Champions may be asked to make a leaflet drop urging people to vote.
 
3.4.        Communications
                Gareth Bright reported that Valerie Grove ensures the website contains the latest information on the documentation and progress of the NP, including the Design Workshop.
 
               
3.5.        Research/Heritage
                In the absence of Dave Howley, Ros Day stated that English Heritage had been contacted about   concerns around the deterioration of Adams Farm but was told that it was not interested unless the building was Grade ll* listed.
 
3.6         Environment
                Tracy Hoad reported that the public meeting held on 29 January 2019 in the Village Hall when a talk on the Natural Flood Management in the Powdermill Stream catchment, was given by the    Environment Agency Flood Officer, had been well received.  Tracy Hoad reported that a meeting with the Flood Group was arranged for 12 February 2019.
 
4.            Consultation Events
                Ros Day confirmed that the 3 consultation events had taken place and the consultation period ended on 25 January 2019.  A report on the representations sent to RDC has been received by the Steering Group who had examined the comments. RDC will now submit the NP together with the list of the representations received from the consultation, to the Independent Examiner for her to start work on it on 4 March 2019.
 
5.            Design Workshop
                Arrangements were confirmed for the Workshop being held on 10 February 2019 in Crowhurst Village Hall from 11.00am – 3.30pm including lunch and refreshments.
 
6.            Letters from Residents
6.1.        Ros Day reported that a letter had been received from a resident who questioned why the NP included a proposed car park in Church Paddock when the area of land next to the village hall car park had been purchased many years ago to provide a car park.  The meeting agreed to refer this to  the Parish Council with the recommendation that Councillors meet with Father Michael or the other Trustees to discuss any future plans for the land. The letter also raised concerns about    building on agricultural land which could be needed in the future.  There followed discussion on      brownfield sites and the fact that in rural villages there was often no brownfield sites available for development and in order to meet housing requirements required by Government, it was necessary to build on greenfield sites.
6.2         The second letter received was supportive of the NP, and grateful for the opportunity to comment and raise questions at the consultation events.
 
7.            Art Project
                In the absence of Chris Davidson, Gareth Bright informed the meeting that the original idea for this community art project was no longer viable. The current suggestion is for a long-term, rather than a  permanent project, and would consist of seven wooden poles to be erected, possibly on the strip of  land in  front of the Memorial Garden at the Church.  Each pole would have artwork representing various areas of the NP, e.g. environment, heritage, etc. The question of future maintenance of this project was raised and it was decided to discuss this further at a future              meeting. An offer of stained  glass work was made if that would be helpful and this was gratefully received.
 
8.            Consultation on the Draft Public Realm Strategic Framework
                This document sets out Rother District Council’s priorities for the management and maintenance of  the public realm, including pavement and road surfaces, street furniture, signage, post boxes, telephone kiosks, street trees and planting, to ensure a more co-coordinated and consistent approach. While no single organisation is responsible for the appearance of these, the District Council is hoping its Public Realm Strategic Framework will act as a guide for improvement. Ros Day   reported that it fits in with Crowhurst’s NP and also mentions community art works.  It also includes the fact that developers should ensure that new developments reflect and reinforce local  character and is subject to appropriate management and maintenance regimes. The Group is pleased with the section on new developments and rural areas, and thinks that unadopted roads  should be specifically mentioned because there are quite a lot in the district. Concern was expressed about funding not being as available in rural areas as in town centres.  The consultation runs from from 24 January to 8 March 2019 and anyone can vote.
  
9.            Building Better – Survey from Civic Voice
                Ros Day to circulate this document after the design workshop to those on the NP emailing list for  their responses to this survey.
 
10.         Feedback to the NP Forum on Perceived Issues with the Neighbourhood Planning Process 
                Jonathan Vine-Hall, Chairman, Sedlescombe NP, has asked for feedback on issues with the NP Planning process after Huw Merriman, MP, secured a meeting with Kit Malthouse, MP.  The meeting agreed to submit several concerns – 1)  that the grant process funding should align with milestones not dates
2)  the issue of changing regulations and goalposts during the process creates extra and time-consuming work. 
3) a simplified process and more help from the local planning authority. 
4) should have more than 2 year certainty that numbers will not change; developer can ignore NP if the local planning authority is not reaching its planning numbers.
 
11.         Date of Future Meetings
Steering Group 
Monday 4 March 2019 in Crowhurst Village Hall at 7.30pm.
Monday 1 April 2019 in Crowhurst Village Hall at 7.30pm.
 
The meeting closed at 8.45pm.

Stay informed about your Neighbourhood Plan. To receive updates and notifications about progress, meetings and events c ontact us at:

 
To leave the mailing list at any time just send us an email with UNSUBSCRIBE in the title.  

DATA PROTECTION
All contact information you provide will be held securely and will NOT be shared with any other third-party organisation for any purposes including marketing or promotion of goods and services. For your full data protection rights information please click here

This site uses cookies. Most people know this term but don't really know what it means! So for a beautifully concise description of what cookies are and what they do, please click this link . (from the BBC website). If you do not consent to cookies please email us when you have finished using the website ans we can tell you how to remove any cookies that the website may have used during your visit, Thank you. 

WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO?​

This page contains all documents relating to the Consultation Process including village survey results and longlisted and shortlisted sites feedback. It will be updated as the process continues. 

​​ Useful links:
For more information on the Crowhurst Neighbourhood Plan application please see: 

For more information on our Neighbourhood Plan process and to access minutes of all previous meetings please see either of the links below: